I’m a fan of marketing and I watch what brands do very closely. What I’ve come to realize is that many marketing teams aren’t actually needed. Too many teams either just copy what others are doing or follow a best practices playbook. Their marketing is indistinguishable from their competitors which puts them in the safe zone. I think the rationale is “at least we won’t be worse.” So then the question becomes, what value do they bring?
We can easily hire someone to see what everyone else is doing and copy it. Hell, you can probably find someone on Fiverr to do it. We need people that can think and be creative and break through the noise. The ability to try new things has never been easier, quicker, or cheaper.
When you look at your marketing efforts, ask these questions:
- Why are we doing this particular tactic?
- What would we do if you could no longer do all of the tactics we are currently using?
- Would our messaging fit in on our competitor’s channels and vice versa?
- What is no one else doing?
- What are other brands scared to do?
- What is the biggest risk we could take?
- How easily could I be replaced?
Many marketers are cover bands. They play the hits that others have created. We’re looking for some originals.